Another article about the risk with Pills. CBD to the rescue!
It is articles like this that give more credit to the use of CBD Hemp Oil for treatment. I found this article and I had to share it with everyone.After I read how many deaths have increased from the side effects of perscribed medicines given out by our medical doctors for health treatment, It just made my stomach turn once again! Then on top of that my husband comes into the kitchen to tell me he has been reading where most of our meds are coming from China and countries that have no regulations how they are made. I ask myslef, ” How can the Feds turn down natural plant based herbal treatments that solve health issues without all the side effects?”. How can they give such harsh decisions about the use of CBD Hemp OIL? The more I read and learn the more I pray because my thoughts cannot explain to me how things on this earth have gotten so far away from the reality of life.
Wait a minute! We are responsible for what we do for our health and for the medicine we use!
But then it is up to us as individuals to learn what is best and to make the correct decisions about how we will be treated in the medical field and what medicines we will take? I can try my best to educate people about natural plant based herbal therapies. People around the world for generations have used natural herbal treatments. Wellnesshempoil.com believes in education of alternative herbal treatments equals a higher quality of life. We try to enlighten each client to see the benefits of herbal treatment and what is good medicine at the same time. Our hope is for all to awaken to their responsibility of our health and take charge of our energy and decisions made about our health care. To ask questions and do research! Become aware of your ability to know what is best for you and stand in that truth.
Hope you enjoy this research article! Michelle DeMello, Wellness Hemp Oil
Medication Mistakes Have Doubled in U.S. Since 2000: Study
Poison control centers get one call every 21 seconds about a potentially serious mix-up
By Alan Mozes
MONDAY, July 10, 2017 (HealthDay News) — Every minute of every day, three Americans call a poison control center because they’ve made a major mistake with their medication.
Some have taken the wrong dose. Some have double-dosed, and others have taken the wrong medicine altogether.
The result: the rate of serious mix-ups has doubled since 2000, a new study reports.
Four out of 10 mistakes involve heart medications, painkillers or hormone therapy prescriptions, including insulin. And the errors often put patients in the hospital, the study found.
“Ever more drugs for ever more diagnoses in ever more people invites ever more error and adverse reactions,” said Dr. David Katz, director of the Yale University Prevention Research Center. He was not involved with the study.
The study researchers used U.S. National Poison Data System records to track errors involving prescription or over-the-counter medications taken outside a health care facility. Most of the drugs were taken at home, meaning patients, not health care professionals, made the mistakes.
The rate of serious medication errors rose from 1.09 for every 100,000 Americans in 2000 to 2.28 per 100,000 by 2012. One-third of the cases resulted in a hospital stay, the researchers said.
“Fortunately, most do not result in the serious outcomes found in this study,” said lead author Nichole Hodges. She is a research scientist with the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio.
But Hodges said the extent of the problem may be worse than the findings suggest.
“Because this study includes only medication errors reported to poison control centers, it is an underestimate of the true number of serious medication errors in the U.S.,” she said. “Unfortunately, we can’t tell from the data whether serious medication errors are occurring more frequently, or whether they are simply being reported more often.”
Nationwide, at least 1.5 million medication errors occur every year, with poison control centers logging them at a rate of one every 21 seconds.
The study found medication errors outside a medical facility shot up across all age ranges except one: children under age 6.
Among that young group, errors rose between 2000 and 2005, then started to fall. The study pointed to less use of pediatric cough and cold medicines after 2007, when the U.S. Food and Drug Administration advised parents to stop giving those drugs to children.
Most of the errors involved taking the wrong medicine, the wrong dosage or accidentally taking a medication twice.
Two-thirds of deaths in the study involved heart medicines and painkillers combined.
Heart medication mistakes accounted for more than a fifth of errors, while hormone therapy drugs such as insulin accounted for 11 percent.
Painkillers were involved in 12 percent of poisonings, and roughly 80 percent of painkiller mistakes involved products with acetaminophen (such as Tylenol) or an opioid drug.
Hodges said most medication mistakes can be prevented.
“Keeping a written log of when medications are administered can be a helpful strategy for parents and caregivers,” she said. “This is especially important if multiple individuals are administering medication to an individual.”
Hodges said patients should to talk to their doctor or pharmacist if they have questions about their medicines. Careful storage is also important.
“Individuals who use weekly pill planners should [also] ensure that they are child-resistant and stored up, away and out of sight of children,” Hodges added.
Drug makers could help, she noted, by improving drug packaging and labeling. In particular, she said, dosing instructions should be easier for people with limited reading and math skills.
The findings were published July 10 in the journal Clinical Toxicology.
Learn more about medication safety at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
SOURCES: Nichole Hodges, Ph.D., research scientist, Center for Injury Research and Policy, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Columbus, Ohio, and adjunct assistant professor, Ohio State University College of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Columbus; David Katz, M.D., M.P.H., director, Yale University Prevention Research Center, New Haven, Conn., and past president, American College of Lifestyle Medicine, Chesterfield, Mo.; July 10, 2017, Clinical Toxicology
Last Updated: Jul 10, 2017
Copyright © 2017 HealthDay. All rights reserved.